From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 20:23:15 -0800
Ed LIpinski wrote:

>Your discourse, Lynn, of malformed, incompletely closed, non-fusioned kit
>spines was wholly absorbing and very interesting.  Do you understand that
>these defective kits were birthed under the responsibility of woman
>ferret breeder located in Federal Way, Washington State?  Is it known by
>you that she's ignorant, doesn't give a damn, or rather, is she just an
>unlucky lady.  What can you tell us that you retained, because you
>possibly fear repercussions from persons who live only some 30 miles from
>you?

Ed.  I think neural tube disorders is more accurate here, because it
encompasses a range of possible symptoms, including, hydrocephalus,
malformed kidneys, susceptibility to bacterial infections, and spinal,
urinary tract, and even heart problems, according to Dr. Williams.

In talking about Squeek and neural tube (NT) disorders, my intent isn't to
judge or condemn anyone.  There is no solid proof of what causes neural tube
disorder.  Dr. Williams has collected evidence and has theories, which I
presented partially and to the best of my abilities in Saturday's FML
posting (hope it's okay, Dr. Williams).  However, I know of no one else
who's seriously looked into the causes of NT in ferrets.  No breeders have
written me with any information about it, though I've received questions.
Dr. Williams, based on what he's seen, says that ferrets that produce NT
babies are genetically suspect, and suggests the safest way of avoiding more
of the same (noting that the defect may skip a generation before showing up
again) is not to continue breeding those ferrets.  And, since he almost
always sees the defects in kits from two color-diluted ferrets (mitts,
blaze, pandas), he suggests avoiding these combinations too.

My plea was and is for any breeder who has seen neural tube in their lines
to please look hard at Dr. Williams information (and notify him with any
information you have).  And please look at the sadness NT can bring to a
tiny kit's life... then decide about breeding again a ferret that has
birthed neural tube babies... and look harder before deciding to breed kits
for breeding.  Because the consequences that may be paid, may be paid by
others, some of them as innocent as a newborn kit.

And, should a kit or kits survive in a litter with neural tube kits, I just
wanted people to know that there is a vet that knows something about the
syndrome (for example, Sqeek had three vets and not one of them knew his
giant kidney was part of this syndrome and was probably a non-functional
liquid-filled sack, or that he'd be prone and probably succumb, as many
neural kits do, to bacterial infections... in six months he had about four
infections).  Dr. Williams can talk about the physical weaknesses these kits
may be prone to.  If I'd known Dr. Williams had seen quite a few neural tube
litters, I would have called him much sooner.  And Squeek would have had
better care.

These are the ideas I meant to discuss.

I didn't post the information about neural tube disorder to judge, condemn,
or "ID" anyone.  I don't want Squeek's memory dragged through an ugly
battle, which would drive people apart, rather than leading them toward an
attitude open to effective dialogue.  In writing Squeek's story I want to
relive the wonderful memories of him, the things he taught me.  There are
already so many sad memories of his illness, it is hard to remember his
wonders.  So, in his story, I'll concentrate on the beautiful things, and
touch upon the hard stuff enough, I hope, to move people to think more
deeply about neural tube disorder, because even one little surviving baby
can hurt so deeply.

>As another one of your neighbors living close by, I, as well as our
>membership, would ask you to ID this lady fully for the recognition she
>deserves.  How about it, Lynn.

>Edward Frettchenvergnuegen Lipinski,
>der Frettchen Meister von Mercer Inselreich,
>Der Staat Washingon,
>Die Vereinigten Staaten von Nordamerika

I'd be interested in hearing about the Ferrets Northwest membership you
mention above.  Earlier in a post you mentioned you were located
"clandestinely" on Mercer Island, and I was curious what that meant.

If you have more questions about neural tube, feel free to e-mail me.

Lynn Mc. & the Gang of Eight Furbusters (& the little spirit frettchens)