From:
Marion Houle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:51:25 -0400
Hello to everyone .

I have a quick question that I am hoping someone out there can help me
with.  My ferret Dook is adrenal and it is not possible to remove the
right.  (We have tried.) He was on melatonin for a while and then when
that stopped being effective I switched him to Lupron injections on a
monthly basis.  My question is this: does anyone else have their ferrets
on Lupron?  And if yes, are you noticing any side effects?  Dook is only
3.5 years old .  he is doing remarkably well on the Lupron .  but the
side effects are these: penile infections (I'm thinking that's the right
word).  About 2-3 days after each injection he has a yellowish puss
coming out of his penis - or at least the hole!  The first two times I
treated him with Amoxycillan and it went away.  This time I have had
to use something else (for the life of me I can't remember what it is
called) and I am waiting to see if it will work because I am only on
day 2 of the new type of med.

The other side effect I am noticing is his tail.  While he was on the
melatonin all his fur grew back and he was a wonderfully plush ferret
(with a slight orange tinge .  my poor little albino looked rather
strange!) Now however, his tail is constantly full of black heads and the
normal treatment I do isn't working at all.  I have tried washing his
tail every day for 2 weeks .  every other day for two weeks .  I have
used Oxy pads for sensitive skin (which always worked in the past) and I
have tried teatree oil .  nothing is working.

If any one has any ideas about the side effects and can offer some ideas
on how to treat these two I would be very appreciative.

Marion