From:
Especially Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 02:40:20 -0600
There are many shelter operators on the list and this post is meant to
commend them for their individual efforts and policies the put in place
to protect and still place fuzzies.  Some folks would disagree with Cheryl
and some other shelter operators who have really strict policies regarding
the placements of the ferrets in their care.  For them, it is fortunate
that they live in an area where they may not be swamped with ferrets.
They know when they place a ferret, it is in REALLY good hands.

Last year, My shelter completed 651 adoptions.  Most filled out
applications, all were personally interviewed, all reviewed and
signed adoption agreements, and some were visited and/ or called by
phone to check up on the critters.  My policies aren't as strict as some
as I don't have the luxury due to my locale and exposure to the public.
I had a few come back, I heard a couple died needlessly, some didn't get
the vet care the contract required, and some I went out and personally
siezed and took possesion of for failure to comply with my contract.
Yes, it is legal and binding, and aside from siezing the ferrets, it
gives me the right to drag someone into court if need be.  A shelter
isn't a pet store where you plop your money on the counter and walk with
a ferret.  We all care about the ferrets in our care and do the "best" we
can with what we have.  All my clients know that I still own my ferrets
after they leave the shelter.  the adoption contract allows them to enjoy
the company of the shelters ferret for the rest of its life as long as the
stipulations of the contract are upheld.

The contract and policies set by each and every shelter are designed to
provide the best for the ferrets, not you and not me.  Those that don't
like it can take a hike, ......and remember the name of that shelter when
the pet store ferret they bought later no longer appeals to them.  I
correspond with and help support shelters that are on and off this list
when I have the means.  Ask any of them if I asked for something in return.
My reward comes later and is better than anything here on earth can ever
give me.  The happiness that I give to "most" of my clients and ferrets
is a reward that can have no price tag.  The pain I feel when an adoption
goes bad also does not have a price tag.  For you folks that don't run
shelters, understand a shelters standpoint when disagreeing with their
policies.

Hugs, Ferretguy