From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 1999 10:25:55 EDT
>My poor ferrets have had ear mites for what seems like FOREVER and the vet
>put them on an oral suspension but said nothing about cleaning out their
>ears.

Sometimes they are hard to control.  We've had our best luck with an
ivermectin in propylene glycol.  Our vet mixes an injectable ivermectin
which we apply to each of the ferret's ears once every 2 weeks.  It
typically eradicates the mites in just two treatments, although continuing
it for a third dose may make sure that there are no reinfections.

You do have to clean the ears with an ear cleaning flush first to remove as
much wax as you can.  All animals have to be treated at the same time or
they'll just reinfect one another.  Wash all of the bedding in hot water
and bleach.  Use a bleach solution to clean the cage; let it air dry before
letting the ferrets back in it.

Dick B.
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter