Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 15:19:58 EDT
Mo Peterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Just wondering: does anyone know if giving ferrets Canola oil instead of
>Ferretone/Linatone is a good thing?  I need to know if it's really
>fattening or not.  And is there any detrimental effects with Canola oil
>and ferrets?

I have been supplementing my ferrets with Canola oil since reading about it
on the alt.ferrets newsgroup.  I have 6 ferrets in one cage.  What I do is
fill a 4 ounce water bottle with Canola oil once a week.  They all lick off
the dropper periodically during the week.  When it's gone, it's gone and
they have to wait until refill day comes along.  They still get some
Ferretone as a treat (and at nail clipping time).

After the first week or 2, they don't "guzzle" the oil.  They just take a
few licks from time to time.  I have not had any get fat and have had no
negative effects from the oil.  They still eat and drink the normal amount
(TF and fresh water and/or Timmy's Tonic).  Their weight still does the
normal seasonal fluctuation and is what I expect from each of them (not
any more since beginning the free-feed oil).

Kim and the Super Six