From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:12:19 EDT
Hello all ~

Unless you really understand energy medicine, it is very hard to make
your own essences.  We grow our own flowers and make our own essences
here on the farm.  We also do what is called a "proving" which is a way
of finding out what each flower does and compiling a big list.  It is
best to get your essences from a good health food store.  There are a few
different Brands out there: Bach; The Flower Essence Society; and others.
I like everything The Flower Essence Society does and sells.  You can
visit their website at: www.floweressence.com.

Animals and animal care:

Self-Heal - Is added to almost any combination to stimulate inner healing
forces of an animal.  It awakens vitality and the will to live.

Snapdragon - Used for animals who bite and are aggressive.

Star of Bethlehem - Used for abused animals, or an animal who has
suffered injury or trauma.

Tiger Lily - For hostile or aggressive animals (not necessarily biters).

Vervain - For hyperactive, overly tense animals.

Vine - For animals which dominate younger or weaker animals.

Walnut - Used before or after a major move.  Thie helps break links to
old places of residence.  Also used when an animal is giving birth.

Wild Rose - For apathetic, listless animals.

We also use an herb from out west called Chaparral.  It is indicated
if someone is being threatened by environmental hazards: power lines;
industrial waste; when the psyche has been over-exposed to violence (even
on TV); when one is energy depleted due to being in the presence of
someone else; or when society in general can be exhausting.  It is a
psychic and physical cleanser and I used plenty of it after 9/11.  This
is one remedy we all should have, along with Rescue Remedy or Five Flower
Formula.  It is powerful so I would only use a drop per water bottle, per
day for an animal as small as a ferret.

SOURCES:

Kaminski, Patricia and Richard Katz.  Flower Essence Repertory.  Calif:
Earth Spirit, Inc., 1992.  ISBN # 0-9631306-1-7.

Kaminski, Patricia.  Flowers that Heal.  Dublin:  New Leaf Publ., 1998.
(Available thru the Flower Essence Society.)

Scheffer, Mechthild.  Bach Flower Therapy.  Vt:  Healing Arts Press, 1988.
ISBN#0-89281-239-7.

Online Sources:

www.medicinegarden.com (click on Flower Essences)
www.floweressence.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mary Conley is an herbalist whose love of natural health sent her back to
school for her Doctorate in Natural Medicine in 1999.  She teaches online
and has a small practice in old Historic Laurel, Maryland.  She is the
faculty herbalist at The Athena Website and List (the medicinegarden
reference above), and is featured at other natural health sites online.

She is a member of several professional associations:
American Herb Association
American Botanical Council
National Center of Homeopathy
The Herb Growing & Marketing Network
American Naturopathic Medical Association
Flower Essence Society ( USA)

Warmly ~
Mary

Herbalist