Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 15:28:42 EDT
Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've posted - I do read the FML religiously but due
to my work schedule, usually have to let 'em pile up for a week, read them
all over the weekend, and thus don't get the chance to post very often.

But anyway, thought I'd share my crew's litterbox accuracy rate since the
topic came up, I have 4 females and all 4 of them are 100% accurate,
ALWAYS, in their cage (and I have a humongous, 6 story condo cage that they
live in when I'm at work).  I trained all of them to do that from day one.

However, once free-roaming, the accuracy rate goes down quite a bit for
most of them.  Only 1, Samantha, is still 100% accurate out of the cage -
she will actually seek out the floating litterboxes even if she's far away
from them.

The other 3 I would say are only about 50% accurate on average, once free
roaming.  They go in the litterboxes when they feel like it, no matter how
much training, treat-coaching, etc.  I did, they just aren't as good as Sam
is out of the cage.  Jasmine and Daisy are fiercly independent when it
comes to places they want to poop, and Casey goes on the floor only when
she's p.o'ed at me about something -- "protest pooping" as my family calls
it. ;>)

I've also noticed that this phenomenon seems to relate fairly well back to
their personalities -- Sam is completely driven by food, treats, and things
she can claim as her own (she's the biggest thief), so she was
exceptionally easy to train; Casey is also driven by food so she's usually
really good (except when mad at me like noted above), but Jasmine and Daisy
are happy-go-lucky independents, more social and playful than the others
and not driven by food or things to steal like Sam and Casey are -- so by
these observations with my 4 girls, I really think that ferret
personalities have a lot to do w/ how well they can be trained!

Anyone else notice that w/ their ferts?  It's just so funny how they're all
ferrets, but all so, so different in their habits and personalities.  :)

Hugs to all the fuzzies everywhere...

Jen, Casey, Jasmine, Samantha and Daisy