Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:07:59 -0600
Dear FML and Dr. Williams,

Dr. Williams response to my inquirey re: the safety of a repeat
pancreatectomy was extremely enlightening!  I am a bit embarrassed to admit
that I did not know there was a difference; I assumed that a pancreatectomy
meant merely cutting away the nodules, with the portion of the pancreas
that harboured them.

QUESTION: How do you perform a nodulectomy without the use of laser?
Could you explain that here on the FML, Dr. Williams, for those of us that
don't understand, and are thirsty for knowledge?  You said that your have
performed repeat nodulectomies on several; I need to understand how you did
this without removing more pancreas if you did not use a laser.  I will
question my vet, also, but he is some distance away, and I would like your
input before I speak with him again.  When I questioned him re: the new
laser/possible bleeding..he answered that with the laser there would be no
bleeding.  ( I think he is the best ferret vet in this area of the country,
but he is not God, and I realize he does not have a lot of experience with
laser yet, as he just recently acquired it.)

You mentioned the bleeding that takes place in the abdominal wall...that
is what happened to Fang from the pancreatectomy.  Thank you for
clarifying that for me. If I choose to try another surgery, I would
definitly make sure the donor was right there.

Dr. Purcell was also kind enough to respond; we FMLers love our little ones
so much, that I hope you vets know how appreciative we are that you can
comment now and then on subjects that affect so many of us (and so many
little beating hearts)!

Please comment on the nodulectomy vs. a pancreatectomy, the criteria to
help one decide if a nodulectomy can be safely performed, and whether or
not you used laser for your nodulectomies...if not, how did you do it
without removing more pancreatic tissue?

So much to learn, so little time,
lizzi