From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 01:48:31 -0800
I must admit that I am so busy here caring for the shelter 'kids' that I
always skip Mr. Killian's posts and others who post so often, in order to
save time.  I only search for urgent posts from people seeking help with
sick fuzzies, and reply to those privately.

But a friend happened to email me and ask about this referral to me, so I
re-read that fml and finally located the post they were talking about.  I
will make this as brief as possible and I invite those whose time is very
valuable, to simply "scroll down" to the next post.  Sorry BIG, but I had to
post this generally, rather than respond directly, since Ms. Heber's email
address was not posted.

>We sent Trish's post to Sally Heber of the AFA.

I am wondering 'why' you did this, since Sally Heber is an "unknown" to most
of the current FML readers.  I, for one, have never even seen her post on
the FML, so I am surprised she thought it important to reply to this.

>decided to write a more formal response since it was us and our friends
>that were insulted.

How did I insult anyone?  I only wrote a truthful observation of what I saw,
it was only 'my personal thoughts', (though a friend was with me, and saw
basically all the things that I did) and I thought others who cannot attend
shows might like to read about one.  If you wanted to scrutinize what I
said, I think the 'worst' thing I said was simply...."I guess the AFA is not
nearly as big an organization as I thought it was", I am wondering why Mr.
Killian and Ms. Heber seem so sensitive.  It was certainly not my intention
to insult anyone!

>she didn't feel a part of the show and didn't make it a point to introduce
>herself or ask any questions.

Perhaps Sally did not read my post very closely, as I DID say that I met
people and talked to quite a few of them, I actually wrote: "I met Mary
Shefferman and bought an autographed copy of her new book...I met a couple
of other shelter operators who had tables...", I also spoke to the man
taking photos, to the TF rep, and a couple other vendors and spectators
(can't remember their names, sorry).

>The AFA and Sally Heber don't engage in tit for tat exchanges.

I don't know how anyone could put what I said into this category, or, even
if the AFA did, why they responded if it is not their policy to do so.  I am
truly confused by this statement in light of Ms. Heber's 'response'.

Due to my involvement in single-handedly caring for 43 ferrets here at the
shelter, nursing 4 that are currently 'under the weather, AND making a
living to support them, I am afraid I do not have the time, nor the energy,
nor the desire to get further involved in this pointless discussion.  I
don't feel it is contributing to the needs of the ferrets or ferret owners
who read this list.  I am sure BIG will agree that this need not go any
further.  My goal is simply to help the fuzzies in every way that I can, so
I am now getting back to that.  I WILL NOT respond to further comments
concerning this subject on this list, and personal mail on this subject will
be 'deleted' unread.

Sorry to clutter the list with this sort of thing friends.

Now...on to serious ferret matters...

Does anyone else out there have fuzzies with 'strange habits', as in racing
to watch the toilet flush??  (I have 3 :( )

Kisses to all the fuzzies, (and don't forget to stuff their stockings
too!!)
Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter

[Moderator's note: Actually, today Bill and Diane Killian did send a long
rebuttal of Trish's first post.  The rebuttal was over 300 lines long --
too long for the FML, but if they wish to post a brief summary I'll let it
through, since that will even out the number of posts.  In short, I think
their post wanted to make clear that they feel the AFA is involved in all
sorts of areas of ferret care - their primary function is not to put on
shows.  They also took exception to some of the facts Trish presented.

I don't really understand what the fuss is though... Trish is certainly
welcome to state her impressions - that's what the FML is for.  I feel the
topic is beginning to turn away from general information and towards
personal scores to settle, and that's when it's time to end it.  BIG]