From:
Rob and Kate Adlers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 08:18:14 -0500
Morning everyone!

For those not in the know, we've adopted two of the ferrets from the New
Year's Day London Ferret rescue.  THANKS RANDY!!!!!!!!  We took the two
worst of the lot, because we knew they weren't.  Lunge and Munch.  They're
re-named now to their permanent names.  The nicknames will always remain.

Well, Zabaks (Lunge), and Poga (Munch) are quite overwhelmed, but happy.
First off, for the non-Latvian speaking crowd, Zabaks means Boots, and Poga
is Button. Zabaks also has a secondary meaning for when the boy will be
doing something stupid. Zabaks is also a Latvian slang word for dummy, as
in "dumb as a boot."

Last night:

The two settled into the ferret room pretty quick.  The whole crew including
the cat went to check them out.  Results?  Buster and Zabaks had a rank
battle (expected) - Zabaks submitted after a few minutes.  Buster wanted to
keep beating on him, but Zabaks was too tired.  Enter Hobo.

Hobo, who seems to deny the alpha females their right to practice dominance
on her, saw this battle, and promptly put herself between Buster and Zabaks -
Zabak's first friend.  Later, Buster was caught sleeping with Zabaks and
Poga.  ; )

Poga, who is the cutest little thing, is remarkably similar in appearance to
Putt-Putt.  She hasn't had any problem with anyone else ... yet.  She is
VERY timid when we come in the room, but will come out after a few seconds
of uncertainty.

Both Zabaks and Poga are wetting my face with sloppy kisses this morning!
Noone has been bitten!  Errr..... OK.... SAM has been bitten.  Many times.

Sam is a new venture for them.  Tasty too.  They've never seen a cat before.
Not up close anyway.  Sam's been good at trying to discipline them on what
is acceptable or not.  He's taking a lot of chomps by both (big ones), and
has not yet used his claws against them.  He's just smackin' them on the
head when they're out of line.

I have a feeling Zabaks and Sam will be good sparring partners in the
future.  Zabaks is really taken with him.  Poga was screaming as she jumped
at Sam last night.  She had Kate in stitches.  Normally we're used to
screaming when ferrets are fearful or on the defensive, but not on the
offensive.  It's very amusing.

More later...
           This post forwarded by
 Toronto Internet Ferret Group List