From:
Julie Guardino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:27:51 -0500
I have the same question about a female ferrets slightly swollen vulva.  At
the University where I work we have a ferret named Crimson.  She is our
Animal Room Mascot and very loved by all.  She has recently been diagnosed
with insulinoma and is on pedipred.  She has been doing pretty well on
this and our school's vet isn't in a hurry to open her up when she is
feeling pretty normal.  Over the last couple of months we have noticed
that her vulva is slightly swollen.  I brought this to the vets attention
immediately, but he is still not wanting to rush into surgery when she
seems otherwise well.  Over the weekend she had a bad insulinoma spell
and is still a little shaky today, (mon).  The vet has us increasing her
dosage of pred.  She is getting .25 of a ml twice a day.  He still is not
concerned about the swollen vulva.  Does anyone out there have any
suggestions or advise on anything else we could or should be doing for this
little girl?  She is approximately 5 years old, sable, and extremely sweet.
I guess I thought that you should do the surgery when they were feeling
good, as they would better survive the operation.

Julie and the fab four at home and Crimson at school