From:
Lisa Mancilla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 06:40:54 -0800
Hello Ferret Friends,

I just wanted to let you know how wonderful everything is at the Doyle Zoo
once again.  The moment Tony entered the door, his 5 sisters dog piled on
him and smothered him with kisses.

Many of you wrote, like over 200 e-mails were showered upon us.  We enjoyed
them all.  The big question was "What is the story behind the Adventure and
how did he get 30 miles away?" I want to share the story with you from start
to finish.

Thursday night Tony was watching "Disclouser" with Uncle Steve.  He kept
stealing a carrot that Uncle Steve was munching on.  The Dad came over and
scooped Tony up and rode him around in Tony's new Tonka truck.  (Tony just
loves his new truck.) it was around 9 pm.  About this time the pizza
delivery guy came and delivered a pizza.  That was the last time was saw
Tony.  The next day was a short day at school for me and I had several
doctors appoints, one that included getting my eyes dialated.  I was tired
and hit the bed around 4 pm and didn't wake up til around midnight.  The
house was dark and all ferrets were sleeping.  I went back to bed.  The next
day Saturday, I woke up and looked around all the ferrets were up and doing
the morning thing, running through tunnels, begging for treats, etc.  No
Tony though.  I realized that I hadn't seen him since Thursday night.  When
Steve woke up I asked him to check under his bed for Tony.  No Tony.  About
and hour later after the 3 of us and 5 ferret girls completely tore the
house apart we realized that Tony was not in the house.  Panic had set in.
I went out and put up posters and passed out cards and ran around the
neighborhood yelling Tony and squeeking the squeeky toy.  I put an ad in the
local paper, contacted animal control and the humane society who in turn was
going to contact F&G and let them know that if a ferret was found, that it
was a pet and that it would be sent out of state.  I made arragements for
Tony and the girls to go to Austin Owens in Tx and Judy and Gary Skinner in
Fl.  I made my daily phone calls.

Tuesday when making my phone calls my vet told me she knew where Tony was
and gave the name and phone number.  I called.  The lady lived in Carlotta
which is 30 miles away inland.  How did he get there?  Well he hung around
here for 24 hours and then made his way down the 50 foot hill in our back
year which is over highway 101.  He crossed it and ended up at Al's Truck
Stop which is about 200 yards away.  He stayed with alll and his wife until
Sunday night.  They knew of a trucker in Carlotta that owned 8 ferrets and
the trucker came and got Tony.  They renamed him Al.  But they knew someone
loved hime because he was well taken care of so they made all the same phone
calls that I was making.  Tony stayed with these nice people for 2 days
before I tracked him down.

Tony first looked at David and I and said "oh hi Mom and Dad" and then his
eyes got really big and I could see him yell "Mom!!!!!  Dad!!!!".

I want to thank each and everyone one of you for you prayers, suggestions,
love and support.  I said a little prayer to Miss Wiggles too.  All of you
were the positive energy that brought Tony home, Miss Wiggles was the
positive energy that kept Tony safe.  He had to have wrapped him with her
angelic aura to keep him safe crossing the 4 lane highway.  Wiggles, thank
you ever so much.  BIG thank you for this wonderful list were we have made
so many loving friends and thank you Judy and Austin for letting me send my
fuzzies there if needed.

Bob Martin asked what is the preventative measure?  We are checking into
microchips.  Because we live in a very FFZ and rural area.

I love you all,
Lisa Mancilla
and the Doyle Zoo