From:
Entropia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 19:05:07 -0500
Good morrow ferty type peeps!

First - allow me to brag!  Higgins, my 6.5 month old sable/chocolate
(haven't decided which yet) point hob took a fifth place ribbon in Ring 2
at the SVFC show on Saturday.  Our first ribbon!!  Wooohooo!!  Higgins is
mightily pleased, but the other seven have been heard to mumble "Yah nuffin
special.  Ya still annoy us.  And anyway - it's PINK - BWAAAHAHAHAHA!!"
Higgins sulked most of Sunday evening becasue of these cruel cutting
remarks.  The price of success...

I got to meet a few of people "in the flesh" as it were - Bill and Diane
Killian, their son Derek and their daughter Courtney (who by the way tells
a mean dirty joke - when she can remember them!!) Vickie McKimmey, Pat
Stauffer and many others.  Went out to dinner after the show - and am
pleased to report that despite trying our darndest, managed to eat a full
meal without getting thrown out of there.  Not bad going considering the
amount of hell we were raising - and of course the banana joke...Vickie
can explain that one - hehe!

Anyhoo.  The reason I'm writing is this.  Angora ferrets.  Does anyone have
any information about them?  I have seen the article in this months Modern
Ferret, and also visited the Parrots of the World web site.  I've heard
that they are more feisty than other ferrets, and have even heard thm
described as being mean - so I'm curious as to whether or not anyone on
this list has had any experience with them.  Are they larger than American
ferts?  I don't mean Marshall ferrets here - I'm talking about late alters
from American bloodlines.  Does anyone breed them other than Parrots of the
World?  They sell them for $400 and ship them from NY.  I was just curious
as to whether or not they could be obtained from private breeders - I'd
like to make sure that if I were to get one, that I could get him/her
altered after sexual maturity - Parrots of the World ship them at 8(ish)
weeks already altered and descented.  I've also heard that one of the
reasons they are "uncommon" over here is because the jills rarely care
for a litter once it has been born, and that the use of a "foster mum" is
necessary to raise them - again, is this true?

I would appreciate any information anyone could give me.  My curiosity has
been aroused, and it needs to be satisfied!!

On another note, I really hope that WarmFuzzy will be allowed to take their
ferts to other shows in the future.  Sounds to me like they did everything
right, they didn't try and hide the fact that they had *HAD* ferrets in
their shelter that tested AD positive.  All their personal ferrets tested
negative, yet they were still not allowed to bring them.  Makes you wonder.
How many people knowingly bring AD positive ferrets to shows?  There's
always a risk when ferrets are taken where other ferrets will be, but
sensible handling reduces the risk considerably.  Heck, I don't know - it
just seems a shame that they did the right thing and still got "burned."

Emma, who thinks that an angora sweater would be nice now winter is
approaching...