From:
David Morgenlender <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 16:55:12 -0400
Our 4 year old female ferret Pebbles is exhibiting symptoms, which may be
caused by adrenal disease.  She's lost fur at the base of her tail (about
1") & an area of her back near the tail.  She's lost weight & eaten less,
although there's been definite improvement in this area.

Also, quite awhile ago, she took a liking towards licking me ... often
it's lick, lick, chomp <g>!  She's been doing it more & more.  At times,
all she wants to do is follow me around, waiting for the licking
opportunity, especially on my feet & hands; I can't distract her.  Then
suddenly, out of nowhere, she'll decide it's time to sprint off & cause
trouble elsewhere <g>!  She doesn't show this behavior with anyone else.

As far as I can tell, Pebbles does not have an enlarged vulva.

Our vet examined Pebbles, found nothing & suggested a blood test for $150.
He said it might be worth an extra $50 to get an ultrasound test, which is
likely to be more helpful.  (The money isn't the issue; the best treatment
is!) My wife dealt with the vet, so I don't know if he mentioned the panel
test, as the blood test.

It seems to be time to act.  Our choices are apparently:

1. Do nothing.  This works best if the only health problem is lack of
eating.  (Of course we'd want to make sure she gets enough nutrition.)

2. Get the panel blood test.  I've read this test is very accurate.
I've also read that it is not accurate!

3. Get an ultrasound.  I've read that with an excellent technician, this
test can be useful.  I also read in a FAQ that even with an excellent
technician this test misses 50% of adrenal disease cases!

4. Surgery, on the assumption the symptoms indicate adrenal disease.

We're leaning toward #2 or #4.  What would you suggest?

The other question is how fast we need to act?

This leads to the question ... what happens after the surgery ... how long
does recovery take?  In particular, would Pebbles need to be kept away from
BamBam (our 4 year old male) ... they often play rough?

The final question is whether we need a new vet for this?  Our vet is very
caring & in general seems to be competent, and he says he's experienced
with ferrets.  I just wonder if his suggestions re blood test & ultrasound
indicate some problems here.

Thanks for all your help, both in the past & future!!!

 Dave Morgenlender
 e-mail: [log in to unmask]