From:
Margaret Kramer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 11:32:37 -0800
Awhile back I posted my son's Nikki was going in for surgery.  Thanks Dr.
Williams for your information.  I am happy to say Nikki is fine.  I won't
say our experience with the vet(s) were great.  One vet thought she was in
heat but as the FAQ and Dr.  Williams pointed out her symptoms were classic
signs of an adrenal.  We pushed for exploratory surgery.  After the surgery,
the vet said he wasn't sure because both glands looked about the same, but
the left was maybe a little larger so he took it out.  The vet removed her
left adrenal based on statistics - not on what he saw.  My son and I were
concerned that he would remove the gland without some indication it was
diseased.  We felt he shouldn't have based his decision on statistics.  The
vet said we got lucky - the results are back, the left adrenal did have
tumors.  He did it because we pushed him and so we probably saved her life.
He didn't learn anything because he said In the future he would still
recommend the wait and see treatment.  I am happy that Nikki is fine.  I
think one of our missions as ferret owners should be an effort to let vets
know it is time to get educated about the health of ferrets.  The carpet
sharks need to include education of HSUS and vets in the union objectives.
A raisin won't bring happiness if you have already crossed the rainbow
bridge because of ignorance.