Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 11:46:27 -0600
I have 2 AWESOME ferrets that I bought in November, one male ("Guiness") -
1 yr, one female ("Ollie") - 4 yrs.  The female had early life trauma - her
tail was bitten off by a dog.  When I got them I knew nothing of ferrets,
but as we both adjusted it became obvious that they were very unhealthy
(mostly extremely malnourished).  I'm glad to say they've made a full
recovery!  Now for my problem: Ollie uses the litterbox well when I'm
looking (she remembers that Linatone treat!) but when I'm not, she goes
either right next to the box, or by table legs, etc.  (things that almost
make a corner).  Yes, I adjusted them slowly, room by room to the whole
apartment, I've tried litter changes in type, amount, depth, cleanliness,
etc., I've cut entryways in square litterboxes and even supplied EVERY
corner in my apt with those neat (but expensive) corner boxes, and they are
restricted to the kitchen and living room.  I wonder if she's just picky or
rebellious because of her previous stressful environment.  All suggestions
will be enthusiastically welcomed.  Otherwise, someone mentioned eating in
the litterbox - I find my ferrets taking food lots of places, especially
those that resemble "nests" (enclosed).  They found a way to open my
kitchen cupboard, climb up from the inside into a drawer above, and carried
ALL washclothes in the house there for bedding.  It's irresistably cute.
Thanks for a great newsletter!

        ~Lisa