From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:21:34 -0400
>asn't even there because the vet wouldn't let me stay.  I would never do
>anything to hurt my baby and I feel so horrible that I didn't put her to
>sleep.  I thought that she still had a chance and I was very wrong.  I
>feel so deeply sad and guilty about it.  If you have any words of wisdom
>that might help, I would sure appreciate it.  Thanks.

Did Esperanza suffer?  Perhaps.  Is that your fault?  No.  You gave her
every chance to live because you loved her and you know what tough little
fighters ferrets are.  You did what you thought was best.  That's all
anyone can ever do.  And that's all that counts.

Our oldest ferret, Squirt, has insulinoma pretty bad.  We've done it all -
surgery, medicine, and feedings (forced), but nothing has substantially
increased the quality of his life for very long.  And at what point do
efforts to keep him alive become an injustice to him?  I have no idea.
At what point is it kinder to let him go quietly?  No clue there either.
Sometimes the animal lets you know, sometimes they don't.  Either way,
whatever decision we eventually make with Squirt will be frought with the
same guilt and doubt you now have.  Please take comfort in the fact that
you are not alone.

-kim

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.