From:
"Stines, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:38:23 -0500
Thanks to Sheila for her clarification.  It's tough to make a stand
especially with people who are as enthusiastic as ferret lovers.  I'm
sure she got an ear full.

Anyone who is new to the larger world of Ferrapy and ferret love will
start to ask the question, where are they from, what were their previous
living conditions?  Then the inevitable shock that, yes, ferrets are
tested on sends one on a wild quest to change the world.  It is
unfortunate, but a basic fact that only testing on a ferret will tell
you what will happen to a ferret under certain conditions.

I personally do not believe any research done on a rat has any bearing on
me.  Basic physiology and chemical make up are different so we will react
differently.  I'm sure others like Bob C or Sukie would be better
qualified to speak on cross species research and it's validity.

I did do my research on Marshall a little while back, as well as Petco
and s few others.  While most of the answers were canned, they were nice
and willing to discuss any topic I brought to them.  It was after this
that I decided I can make a difference in my own little way by only
adopting in the future, and that is what we did.  I traveled almost 400
miles (round trip) to get my two new boys even though there is a Petco
(with really good looking, big, strong & playful guys by the way) just 10
minutes from my house.  They are a bit older and I don't have the full
history of their lives, but I know that they are done traveling.  It is
just up to the individual and their situation.  There may not be an
adoptee close by or they want a young ferret or specific marks.  For me
and my house, we will only adopt.

James, Melissa, Kassidy & Jasmine

Loving:  Bebe, Riley, Fred & Max
Missing: Wheezer, Pym, Rikki, Jako