Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 18:39:38 +0000
Maree wrote about diet differences affecting adrenals and asked:

>Does anyone have a ferret which has developed adrenal disease on a diet
>similar to the one I have just described which does not include the
>"complete" formulated dry foods ?

Just as a matter of interest, my ferrets, and people I know who have owned
ferrets for longer than I have, eat mainly a diet consisting of the
formulated dry foods.  Mine eat predominently Iams Kitten.  I would
sincerely love for Totally ferret or Mazuri to be distributed to
Australasia.  I have ferrets ranging in age from 14 weeks to 6 and a half
years.  All my ferrets are healthy, never any signs of any illnesses except
for an occassional cold.  I'm generous with my furbabies, obviously too
generous sometimes!  ;o)

A lot of suppositions have been made on what exactly it is that causes
adrenal disease, and I don't believe that any one factor is a cause.
Several people believe that early neutering causes adrenal disease, however
two ferret farms in New Zealand have been neutering at approx 4 - 5 weeks of
age for many years now (I believe over a decade) and there is still no
report of adrenal disease here, which if caused by this operation there
would be some signs of it already.  Other people believe it's diet, in which
case my ferrets at least would be showing signs by now, as well as other
ferrets which have been fed on only dry foods.  Some people believe it's
genetics, however I have heard of New Zealand ferrets in America also
getting adrenal disease.

I don't believe any one cause can be pinpointed.  If it was only one thing,
it surely would have been found by now.  My personal opinion?  Whether it's
the lack of outdoor time - many New Zealanders and Australians keep their
ferrets outdoors a lot of the time, which is unheard of in the States and
Canada.  Whether it's something in the air, soil or even some kind of
previously unidentified BUG that can currently only be found in that area.
Who knows - how many people have commented that several ferrets got adrenal
symptoms at the same time after never having had it in the house before?
Maybe it's less contagious than something like ECE, and therefore less
likely to be thought of as 'viral' or similar.  Personally, I know less than
nothing about adrenal disease, but in my opinion, many people are looking
for a single cause when I believe several are at fault.

Hopefully some funds can be set aside to try to learn about this disease
and to learn it's causes so that what currently means a vastly shortened
life for our babies may eventually be something readily curable.

Sam

What is a ferret shelter, and why are they around?  Where is the closest
one to you?  If you'd like to know, drop in to:
http://users.1st.net/hammock/ferrets/shelter/
to find out!