From:
Karen Rochette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 21:17:28 EDT
Hi Everyone,and this message is Especially for those of you who were so
kind to respond to my request for info regarding our Lady Gretta.

Just as a reminder,Lady Gretta was suffering from sores in her ears and an
infection,she had Stopped eating ,and she hadn't been drinking Very much.
We Wrote to the FML readers about her problems,and Several of you were
Quick to Respond.

The sores were caused most probably by flees and scratching the flee bites.
That infection is All cleared up!  We expected her to Improve Greatly once
the infection was nocked down.  This didn't happen!

Instead she got worse,I then found real thin fur along the back of her
neck,and what looked like hives!  We had tried a new flee mist spray to see
if that would help,but that was when we noticed shewasn't eating,and then
found the sores,so we Discontinued Using it,and have Simply bathed all 10
ferrets.  There are still flees,or we think we still have a flee problem as
they are scratching and biting terribly.

However for Lady Gretta there are still Other far more serious problems!
Her stools are still lose and on/off color.  They were green- yellowish tan
thick with slime!  And she still wasn't eating Willingly.

Then on Wednesday afternoon,I went up to the ferret room to give Lady
Gretta her afternoon dosage of slippery elm bark tea and discovered to my
Horror that Lady Gretta's Whole face and head was swollen twice it's Normal
size!  We phoned the vet and rushed her right down to their office,she was
examined and given a shot,an antibiotic.

When we got back home she was given her supper of duck soup,but she'd only
take 2 tblsps. Force Feeding!

On Thursday morning 1/2 of her face had returned to normal size ,but the
right side was still swollen right up under her eye,it;s so swollen she
could hardly see out of it.

I've been talking to Dr. Karen Purcell when she returns to town.  She
Advised us to try the vanilla yogurt,and suggested wwe continue to let
her have the cat food she'd been picking at because it at least was solid
food,provided it was a good quality cat food.

She suggested that this new problem just might be lymphoma back-up!  She
asked if x-rays had been takin,they hadn't,but we went back Thurday
morning,for the x-rays,3 were taken and we found no signes of
cancer,lymphoma,or systs of any kind.  What they Did show was that her
sinuses are all Inflamed,and there could be a Possible toothe problem,but
the physical examination showed Nothing at All.

They prescribed baybril twice daily for the next couple of days,then just
once daily,we're to continue giving her pedialyte and the duck soup.  I
tlaked to Dr. Purcell and she also suggested using warm compreses to bring
down the swelling,we've done this twice for today,and already the swelling
is beginning to go down.

Oh and she will be on this New medication for 1 wk.

Oh,and the red hives are gone as well,and her fur has grown back all
around,thick,and silky smooth.

Thank You All Again,
Karen,Mom Terry,&the Mass. Wrecking Crew