From:
"Cher R. Clarke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 16:11:37 -0600
The Will is important, as are the instructions with the vet and the friend.
Speaking as an EMT/firefighter, you might consider keeping word of your pets
on your person and on your front door (ok, not if you're in CA).

Many humane societies have stickers for residential doors and windows to
advise firefighters that the house contains pets.  Some stickers indicate
how many.  I've never seen such stickers for ferrets; I think they'd be
useful.  I have seen the cat sticker on a house, as I was breaking the
window.  Because of the sticker, we looked for the cat.

Because I am a firefighter, everyone on my department knows I have ferrets.
Does your local fire department know you have ferrets?

Do they care?  Maybe.  If you live in say, Boston (which is very BIG), they
might not care.  A sticker might help and certainly wouldn't hurt.  If you
live in a small town with volunteer fire service, you can inform them that
you have ferrets in a non-pushy, round-about way by asking for suggestions
regarding fire safety and ferrets.

And then maybe you'll see how cool volunteer EMS is, and you'll volunteer
(yup, shameless plug!)...

And once again, let me urge everyone to include your fur slinkies in your
family disaster plan and fire escape routes.

Cher