Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 10:39:47 EDT
My thanks for all of you concerned with the Pigeon.  It was emotionally
draining, and frustrating.  2 bird sanctuary people who said they would
take the bird and call back with instructions to their homes never called,
and did not return my calls.

I had a friend call them both yesterday to say she had a parrot she found.
The sanctuary ladies were thrilled and willing to meet half way.  When my
friend said that this was great, because she could bring the pigeon she
found also--she was hung up on.

IN the Chicago area and 60 mile radius of over 50 people *we called*--
THERE IS NO COMPARISON between bird people and ferret people.

I have written and thought many times that ferret shelter people are MY
heroes.  The ferret is a higher maintenance being than the pigeon, in
general.  Yet, I have never been lied to, or had a shelter person put an
animals life in jeopardy.

3 of the bird people here called told me and my two neighbors to throw
the bird in the woods.  These are people vets and bird societies
recommended we call.  The worst people were two women two exotic animal
hospitals recommended.  The women knew I would have to euthanize the bird
in less than a week if I could not find a home.

Easily and quickly, they said that they would take the bird.  I told them
I would drive anywhere they wished to give them the bird.  They would call
back with directions.  Then did not call.  They did not return polite
calls-one a day-to even say they had changed their minds.

They let me believe I was still to get a call with directions.  They almost
killed the bird: the people to call if one wants to save and protect.  And
yes, I did tell the front desk.  They did not even take a note.

I know from those who helped me in various parts of the country that there
are people out there that are not like this!!!!!!!!!!!

But my experience with the bird society here concerning pigeons was a
mournful eye opener.

I did find a home for the bird--through one of the many flyers I posted.
The woman is crazy for the bird, and lets it fly free in her home, she
says.  The bird turned out to be a hooded fancy hand raised pigeon.  Hand
raised Pigeons are the lowest of the low in the tame bird world here,
apparently.  Parrots are IN.

I did meet 2 remarkable individuals who literally risk their lives to save
baby wild pigeons.  One is about to save 50 to 100 wild babies.  He lost a
hand last rescue.  It is sewn back on, and he is about to risk his life
again with little use of the one hand.

If anyone has any names and numbers of bird people to share-please e-mail
me.  I am keeping a folder of people.  Let me know if they help wild or
tame, or certain birds like hawks.  If I had found a hawk of parrot, I
could have received help.

Please do not e-mail me with anything other than this.  I came so close to
killing this being.  I don't want to go there emotionally again.

God Bless all of you responsible, caring, giving, exhausted shelter
people--none of whom would say--yes -I will take the ferret--and then
play games.  Put a ferret at high risk of death knowingly?  No .

If there are any bird savers in the Chicago area-please let me know what
you take in.  Any wild pigeon shelters out there?  One brave man is about
to need an awful lot of help: more than he has thus far.

Do you know what happens to racing pigeons that aren't fast, slow down,
stop breeding well, get lost, don't make it home, or loose a race?  Their
heads are torn off.  EVery bird rescuer but one told me this.

What an ugly world out there I fell into.  I thank God that there is
another life after this for the poor animals that suffer so in this life.

I thank GOD for the wonderful FML volunteers and shelter operators and the
people on this list that rescue birds that DO care: not just in word--but
in deeds.  Compare all but 2 tame bird sanctuaries we were able to locate
in this area, and the FML shelters?

I found them to be truly as different as night and day.

Lisette