From:
Kelly L White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 10:57:21 -0500
I just wanted to relate a little story about ferrets and guinea pigs, just
so whoever was asking would be cautious.  One day I walked my ferret Edie
down the street to check the mail.  She's a tiny girl, about a pound, and
sweet.  She never bites.  A little girl was playing outside with some of her
friends and they had a guinea pig, easily 2-3 times edie's size out there.
In san antonio, where ferrets are illegal, lots of people don't even know
what they look like, so the girls were interested in the fuzzy I had and
came over to ask me some questions.  Edie put up with all the fuss quite
well (she's a shelter ferret and has always been a little timid) but when
the girl with the guinea pig came over and shoved it at my fuzzy, Edie
lunged for it, bit hard into it's nose, and wouldn't let go.  Needless to say
the girls were upset, and so was I (and the guinea pig that was shrieking
like a banshee).  I scruffed edie and made her let go, but I'm convinced
that she would have killed it if I hadnt' been there to prevent it.  She's
not normally aggressive.  I would never leave a ferret with a guinea pig,
although other people may have had different experiences with this.

--Kelly, [log in to unmask]
 (dooks from Edie, Reverend Maynard (with me in houston), and the san
antonio gang of 7)