From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2009 15:16:30 -0400
Tammy asked:
>Does anyone have any ideas on how to get ferrets to use a Tower of
>Fun?? I have 8 ferrets and 1 Tower of Fun (have had it for a few
>months now...) and I've only ever seen 4 of the ferrets use it and
>even then, they used it once and that was it. Some of them go in,
>go up so far and then just back out.

We found that only one of ours didn't mind sliding over the ribs so we
put a length of smooth PVC pipe inside the slide portion and now they
all use it. Sometimes they do just use it to run up and down even
though all like the slide now. I think they simply like the tunnel
aspect of running up and down.

Sometimes Telemna will sleep in ours and if one gets a treat that the
others can't see that individual will take in in there for privacy.

We sometimes take treats and tilt the tower backwards so that the
treats will be at the very top then tell them "Treats. Tube-tube.
Up- up" and wind up with multiple ones in there at the same time.

When they play in it usually it when they feel like group play and
then typically 3 or more of them will all be in there at once.

Clicking your fingers rapidly on the side higher than where they are
gets them curious and up they run but first they have to get started.

It's not their favorite toy here but it does provide a good work out.

Sometimes toys go in and out of fashion with ferrets. We have had some
who absolutely loved a tetter-totter we had but other groups of ferrets
have just ho-hummed that toy.

Sometimes their tastes change with age.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: