From:
Diane Wall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:19:59 -0500
Hi Robin, You had posted on the FML concerning how one goes about finding
"baby sitting" services for their ferret.  I hope I can provide some
insight on this subject.

I have been ferret sitting for about four years now for friends who
have ferrets as well as others who have heard of me through the ferret
grapevine.

Our website (for Massachusetts Ferret Friends <http://www.maferrets.org/>)
has a listing of those individuals who are experienced ferret caregivers
who are willing to ferret sit for those needing those services.  I
specialize in ferret sitting for older ferrets and those who need their
daily medication administered.  I am lucky to have a very experienced
ferret vet nearby in case of an emergency.  I have an informational
form that the owners and I complete together to get familiar with their
ferret's needs, what kind food, allowable snacks and what toys they like,
as well as authorizing medical care should any emergency arise.  Many pet
owners don't realize that a vet cannot provide medical treatment to their
pet unless the owner is actually present or the animal is brought in as
a stray.  By having a signed authorization form containing their usual
doctor's name and an emergency contact number, we can get immediate
medical attention for their pet as well as consulting with their usual
vet, should the need arise.

I usually suggest that the owner bring their favorite bedding (not
washed) as this contains their scent so when the settle down to snooze
they can relax in their usual bed.  This is important as ferrets are
very scent oriented and helps to reduce any stress by being in a new
environment.  Included in my nominal ferret sitting fee loving ferret mom
care, nail trimming, ear cleaning, washing of any bedding or supplies
brought with them and a bath if the owner's request it.  I also do an
overall assessment and examination of their ferret, sometimes observing
a symptom or behavior that may need attention as well as sharing any
information with the owner that may assist them.  Their ferret is engaged
with enrichment of a new environment (as I change toys every few days,
we have different games on different days as well as rice bins, assorted
tubes, ferret safe popcorn bins etc..) This way the ferret gets their own
vacation and goes home with a "spa like" treatment and cleaned bedding.
Ferret's in my care are not just "boarded" they receive lots of free
roam time in a ferret safe and loving environment.  I have some regular
customers who like to see their playmate residents at my house and have
been successful in helping ferrets who don't like other ferrets to become
friendlier with other ferrets.

I hope this answers some questions you have about ferret sitting.  I
would highly recommend finding someone in your area who has their own
ferrets and not using a typical cat or dog ferret sitter.  Some ferret
shelter owners or ferret clubs in your area should be able to assist
you.

Sincerely,
Diane Wall
South Shore Ferret Lady