From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 1995 07:19:17 -0500
To Todd Cromwell:

This is a normal "ferret thing" to build a nest.  Ferrets like cosy, close
quarters - they like to feel things touching them, which is why they tend
to build little nests or cuddle under blankets/towels and sleep in hats and
pants and sweaters.  This behavior is not limited to females; males, too,
will build nests.

When I change my crew's cages, I always put plenty of soft towels in them
and I make them nice and neat.  Within 5 minutes, they have totally
rearranged the towels into 1 big mess and found somewhere inside/underneath
the bundle of towels to sleep.

Probably an instinctive thing:  European polecats (a relative) still live in
underground dens and the BFF burrows underground as well.  I throw a large
towel or blanket over the tops of my cages to give it a more den-like
atmosphere.  The hanging combination tent/hammie is quite popular in my house.

It is amazing what powerful little creatures they are.  I never tire of
watching them - I am amazed at how much they "think".  They calculate,
analysizeuh....analyze, and then put into action.  They don't understand
the term "can't" - it's just not part of their vocabulary.  Kind of like
the "little engine that could" ........I'm starting to sound like Rudy!

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA