From:
"Stephanie Sheme - Ferrets Etc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 23:07:26 -0400
Hi, Sorry if everyone already recieved this, but my computer decided to play
tricks when I first sent it and now I can not tell if anyone got it.  So if
not here goes again, if so ignore this.

Ferrets seem to be getting bad publicity here in Denver.  First we had
problems with the Childrens museum, now the Denver Zoo.

It seems today on a local news channel a woman from the San Diego Zoo, Joan
Embry, was on as an animal expert to talk about the wild zoo animals.  Well,
the Denver Zoo had a ferret.  seems the ferret was donated to the zoo by
owners who did not want him anymore.  I did not see the broadcast, I was on
my way to the veterinarian with a dieing ferret doing 80 down the road and
CPR at the same time, but that is a different story.

Well many members called me very angry again, seems this Joan was stating
how ferrets were illegal in California because they got out and killed the
wild live.  They were talking about this very cute male ferret (I am told he
was cute, what ferret isn't) as being a wild animal.  It was right on
display with all the other wild life.

Well I plan tomorrow to see if I can get a transcript of the peice from the
news station, but if no oh well, I am writing a complaint to the Denver Zoo
and San Diego zoo to let them know how I feel I hope everyone else can write
them also.  I will also go to the media and see if for once they will listen
to the little folks and let me correct this before millions let their
ferrets go here, because "they can survive alone, they are wild".

If anyone in California has the San Diego Zoo address could you please
e-mail it to me.  I hope to have found the Denver Zoo address by later
tonight and will post it tomorrow.

So start to work on those letters it is bad enough their are ignorants in
California who have false information on ferrets we do not need them going
state to state saying this stuff.  It will make it harder on the California
fight and ferret lives elsewhere.

You can also e-mail me your letters and I will get them to the Zoos.

Thanks , Stephanie

[Moderator's note: San Diego Zoo Administrative Offices, Balboa Park,
San Diego, CA, 92100; 619-231-1515  BIG]