From:
Maryjo Dullum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 07:10:08 -0700
Melle,

I used to have the same problem with re-arrangement of litterboxes, food
bowls, and even the water dishes.  My solution was to drill two 1/8" holes
about 5-8" apart in the back of the litterboxes (regular litter boxes and
converted rubbermaid dish pans), insert an eyebolt in each one, let it
stick out far enough so when pushed against the cage they stuck out past
the edge of the cage.  Then I took a metal rod (from a hardware store), cut
off a length about 10-12" and bent about two inches at one end.  I then
thread that through the eyebolts when it's in place by the side of the
cage.  Works miracles!  In fact, worked so great, I started getting those
$1 plastic shoeboxes, cutting the front down to about 1" and putting their
food in it.  I call that their "food trough".  Did the same thing with the
eye bolts and now the food bowls have remained in place, for about 4 years
(course regular cleaning is done).  The only problem I have is one girl
likes to throw temper tanturms when she isn't allowed out when she thinks
she should get out, and she throws the food all over.  I noticed once that
she would try to throw the food out, look back at the water dish, then
throw more out.  When some landed in the water dish, she'd go eat it.  So
now I place a few in the water before she does, and it has cut down on the
thrown food.

As far as a different type of litter, if I change, it ususally takes two to
three days to get them to quit "unloading the box" all over the floor.
They will get in and dig all the new stuff out.  But after they get used to
it, it works great, unless they decide to throw a temper tatrum.

As for water bowls, I have the plastic type that hang on the side of the
cage, under their water bottles, just in case it drips or they prefer one
over the other (they all have their own preferences!).  I had a couple
ferrets who enjoy laying on their side and flipping the bowl up and down
until it was dislodged and tipped over.  I finally drilled two very small
holes on the part that hangs over the outside of the cage, made a little
rod from 1/32" wire (actually I took one of those wire whips and tore it
apart cause it is very sturdy wire), and it has worked as well as the
litter boxes and the food bowls.  I still have two who sit there and bounce
it up and down to get the water all out, then lick it off the floor, or
they just dig out the water, but it's a lot better than before.

I'll tell you, it's a learning experience with these fuzzies, and they are
constantly creating more challenges.  It's fun trying to outsmart them.

mjo and the zoo (Phantom, Lady Star, Topanga, Ragine, Bilbo, Frodo,
Frito, Pepper, & Caesar and the dogs Garth and Darwin,.....R.I.P.
Nipper, Lightning, EZ, Cleo, and Duke)