Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:34:26 -0400
>Before Rabies, I would be more worried about a cellulitis infection
>and if you haven't had a tetanaus shot you better get one toot sweet.
>These guys carry alot of bacteria in their mouths. Been there, done
>that and got the T shirt."

Kim,

You can not prevent cellulitis with a tetanus shot (or am I misreading
this?). I have had cellulitus and it is extremely painful and I was
sick and in the hospital for 5 days. The doctors tried to blame my
ferrets, then my new kitty cat but after some research we felt it was
probably transmitted by a spider or insect bite. It is actually much
more common than people think.

Here's some info on it from this website:
<http://health.yahoo.com/topic/skinconditions/overview/article/healthwise/tr5108>

What is cellulitis?

Cellulitis is a skin infection caused by bacteria. The infection
extends into the tissues below the outer layer of skin (subcutaneous
tissue). It most often develops anywhere the skin has been broken --
often from a cut, burn, or an insect bite. The infection spreads from
the skin to underlying tissues. In severe cases, it can spread quickly,
within hours or days. Cellulitis is usually not contagious.

What causes cellulitis?

Cellulitis is caused by bacteria (usually Streptococcus or
Staphylococcus).

I'd also like to say that those folks that went to the Buckeye Bash and
stayed at Motel 6 were not told about any insecticides being used in
the hotel rooms. This was discovered AFTER the ferrets began getting
sick. AFA shows are probably the safest places to take your ferrets out
in public. Shot records are checked, negative ADV tests are required
and all judges and stewards MUST parvocide before and after handling
each and every ferret. There is no mixing of any ferrets where anything
can be passed around or caught. No tube races, nothing like that. Shows
are a great way to meet other ferret lovers and to see some really
beautiful ferrets and every single ferret entered in a specialty class
comes home with a ribbon!

Lisa
AFA Eduction Director
Oxford Ferret Rescue Volunteer