From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 23:23:05 +0000
Jonas and Rebecca Stoltz writes:
>My thoughts were he had the "green slime" the vet said no that wasn't it,
>but his stool was a very dark green.

This sounds similar to what Ollie had in January.  It wasn't ece, I have had
first hand knowledge of that.  Ollie ran a high fever, went off his food and
water and actually couldn't walk for several days.  We could find no actual
cause, although the vet did suspect giardia or cocciadia, both intestenal
parasites.  At first he did have some congestion, but that receded quickly.
We treated him for the parasites even though they couldn't be cultured.

I basically treated him symptomatically.  I forced fed duck soup, and
pedialyte several times a day to keep his strength up.  This is what usually
causes most of the problems with sick kids.  I did keep him isolated, but
more from him just not feeling well to anything else.  To allow him sleep.
He was sick for almost 2 months, weakened.  But he did slowly get better.
He is back to normal now and doing fine.

Steve Ferguson writes:
>Subject: Two questions

As far as dry pads, I will tell you what is great for my own rather dry
feet, I use hoof dressing, made for horses.  It is made to keep the hoof in
good condition and flexible so that is doesn't crack.  I always used the
kind that is high in lanolin, usually a white base.  Some have tar in them,
I would stear clear of those.  Hoofmaker is a good brand.  Try massaging it
in.

For traveling, I really wouldn't worry about tranquilizers for the ferrets,
maybe some for you!  I drove 17 hours straight when I moved to Missouri and
the biggest problem was the guys yelling about being in their cages!  The
movement didn't bother them, they just wanted out.  Rattled doors the whole
time.  I also would take small bowls for water dishes, don't use a bottle in
the car.  They drip constantly.  And I used paper towels for litter, and
kept spare so I could change them out easily when I stopped.  I also only
fed at rest stops since the ingrates threw the food around if I left it in
there.  Heathens!  Honestly, they do seem to travel much better than dogs or
cats, I have moved with both.  I wouldn't worry about them too much.

Bob Church once recommended putting a level into a kennel carrier by
inserting masonite between the two halves and then using longer bolts to
reassemble.  Or you could hang a hammock also.  The biggest problem is
boredom, which should just put them to sleep to begin with.  Of course, I
drove straight through since mine wouldn't let me sleep!

Maggie and the crew