From:
Barbara A Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 10:58:12 -0500
I have a question for the vets out there ... I've owned ferrets for about
11 years and my crew currently consists of six ferrets, all under 5 years
old.  I've seen what dehydration can do and I watch my ferrets carefully.
I have noticed that when ferrets get dehydrated they get this 'scruffy'
look -- like their fur is in disorder.  I looked at my guys and Cal seemed
to look scruffy; I did the "pinch test" of his scruff and it stayed up a
long time.  Longer than some of my other ferrets when they were dehydrated.
Problem is, he wasn't sick, or didn't seem to be.  There were no loose poop
in the communal litterbox, no evidence of throwing up, he didn't slow down
any but seemed to go to sleep about the same time as the others (usually he
lasts longer).  He ate with his usual gusto, stole treats as he could get
them, etc.

Is it possible to have a dehydrated ferret if he doesn't seem to be sick???
This ferret does have a *lot* of scruff.  He's the only ferret I've ever
known who can twist around inside his own scruff and bite you when you're
doing something he doesn't like.  Do you think that might have something to
do with it?

Or perhaps I just wasn't finding the loose poop?  (oh god, I wonder where
*that* might be!) He *did* get a little more milk recently than I normally
let him have (perhaps 12 licks instead of the usual 4).  Could that have
done it?  Should I have given him a water shot (I have the ringers at home)?
I just left him go and watched him.  He seems perfectly fine now, and his
scruff doesn't stay up when pinched.  I'm confused.

Also, do you know if those expensive ear-temp devices sold for babies works
on ferrets?  If parents think taking a sick baby's temp in the anus is hard,
they should try to do a ferret!  If the ear-thing works, I'd seriously
consider getting one.  I'm considering if it might not be a good idea to
keep track of their temps so I know what is normal for them.  If I had the
non-invasive ear-temp thingy, I could do that.  Otherwise, it could be
difficult to get the temps.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

--Barb--

Barbara Carlson                   Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh PA
[log in to unmask]           Work: (412) 268-1342 Home: (412) 481-5927
 http://www.gsia.cmu.edu/andrew/bcarlson/home.html (under construction)
Thought for the day:
    If "boring women have immaculate homes," I must be very interesting!