Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 03:53:23 -0600
>From:    Jim MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Black-eyed whites and digging
>Also, my Male is a deviant, and the girls followers.  For this reason I
>have decided to have them declawed, and buy a new sofa!
      [generated the following responses...]
>From:    "F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Declawing
>If you feel that declawing is your only option, then I strongly urge you
>to reconsider whether you are suited to be a ferret care-giver.  Not
>everyone is suited to have ferrets as companions

>From:    Austin Owens <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: I hope NOT
>Please PLEASE tell me u are not serious..  You are having your ferret
>declawed?!  That is so horriable... I have always been strongly aginst
>declawing of ANY animal.  I wasnt even aware that ferrets CAN be declawed.
>Declawing is the easy, irresponsiable way out I feel....

**STOP HERE**

ok i just have to say that i feel pretty sorry for Jim MacDonald.  I dont
think he posted this to get bashed like this :(

I think it might be easier and alot nicer if someone offered another
solution for him to try.  i am sure that most of you that have ferrets at
some time in your ownership have all thought 'oh my god, i dont know if i
can take this any more!  its driving me insane!' if you havent... well then
you are a VERY lucky ferret owner!  *grin*

The vet that i used in Columbus Ohio had a nice procedure in a pamphlet on
the desk in her office.  it talked about a new way of 'declawing' pets,
without actually doing any kind of surgery.  all it basically is is putting
a rubber coating on the nails (granted, they WILL grow out BUT it solves the
problem of things getting shredded, and not having to do any kind of removal)

i am sure jim meant no harm... obviously he loves his ferret... why else
would he be on the mailing list?  :)

a few more comments:
i recently joined the sugar glider mailing lists.  it is very calm and quiet
over there, i havent seen one 'flame' or one harsh comment since ive been
there.  they are all there to help, not to hurt peoples feelings, or spread
rumors... we arent supposed to be doing that here..  but i see it an awful
lot.  in fact, someone over there said they dont even read this list anymore
because of all the upsetting things here.  i realize that some things
brought up on here can create very emotional responses, but i think sticking
to the facts will help us all the most.  if you feel like you REALLY need to
respond to something and are feeling very emotional about it, wouldnt it be
best to do it in private emails?  we dont need to make people look like
fools or idiots, the reason we are here is for the information!  i have
learned alot here... i print out the list every night, and have made my own
'ferret library' that i frequently look up information that i found on
here... stuff i would NEVER find in books!

heh... i didnt think ferret math would ever hit me, but since ive been here,
ive gained !!5!!  more ferrets.  i think it is a disease, and should be
listed as such in any medical book!

now i have a question for you:
do any of you know how to become a u.s.d.a licensed breeder?  and if you do
could you email me (privately) on who i should contact, or how i can find
out?  [log in to unmask] (if you really wanna talk, you can log into my
mud at mud.moonlight.net port 9000... i go by wink and am there from round
1pm central till bout... 1 am central)

okok... enough of my rambling... just shoot me now! <G>