From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 00:03:41 -0400
>Le analisi del sangue del mio furetto mostrano:
> a)Un livello di transaminasi(ALT) molto basso;
> b)Un livello di creatinina (CREAT)alto;
> c)Un livello di immunoglobuline alto rispetto la norma;
> d)All'esame ecografico si nota una cisti al rene sinistro;
>   Vorrei sapere se si tratta di glomerulonefrite e se la terapia adattae
>   una terapia antibiotica.
>Aiutatemi perfavore!
>Marzia
>
>(Moderator [of FHL] took the liberty of translation If anyone can get
>closer please feel free)
>

>  My ferrets blood test show:
>  a) very low ALT
>  b) high creatinine
>  c) immunoglobuline high in respect to the norm.
>  d) echograph (ultra sound?) noted one cyst to the left kidney
>
>I would like to know if draft of "glomerulonefrite" and antibiotic therapy
>are (literally "adapted is one") the same thing or of the same value.

Dear Marzia

In the spirit of international relations - I'll take a stab at this, but
don't expect me to say it in Italian.

Of course, it is always much better to know the exact levels of blood
values rather than a simple "high" or "low".  The very low ALT is not
significant - this is an enzyme that only is important when it is elevated.
The high creatinine is of some concern - it is a compound normally excreted
by the kidney - when it is high it suggests that there might be kidney
damage (but there are other compounds that also should be elevated in
the bloodwork to make this diagnosis which you don't mention.

Single cysts on one kidney are common and not the cause of your ferrets
problem.

Now you mention that the immunoglobulins are high - how high are they?
In Aleutian disease, we commonly see elevated immunoglobulins and
glomerulonephritis.  Now you mention glomerulonephritis but do not discuss
how this diagnosis was reached.  Glomeulonephritis is a very specific
disease which is accompanied by loss of protein in the urine.  I am
wondering if your vet has actually diagnosed this, or is simply making a
diagnosis of kidney disease.

Most cases of kidney disease (and all cases of glomerulonephritis) are not
responsive to antibiotics.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at