From:
scott sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:11:17 -0000
Well, dusting off my "Walker, Mammals of the World, 4th ed"...I know,I
know, there's a newer one out there, but it's a pile of change and this
one still works most of the time and what with all this new DNA stuff,
the taxonmy changes about as fast as fashion, and besides, I figure
they still owe me a comp copy for photos in the last one so I'm holdin
out...but I digress and besides, Bob will weigh in on this at some point
if we're all lucky and really give us the scoop!

Anyway...There appear to be THREE choices for our weasel friend down
there without going the smelly path.

Tayra (Eira barbara) single species found from southern Mexico to
Northern Argentina...it is the only one of size that would weigh in at
4-5 Kg.  and come up to what the gent was purporting.  BUT, it looks
like a very long legged Northern Hemisphere Fisher...not ferret like
at all.  However, Walker reports that it lives for up to 18 years in
captivity and "loves to play and can be tamed".

Next we have the Little Grison (Galictis cuja), which was mentioned in
furred, it does have stripes and short legs and tail shorter than the
body.  BUT, it only weighs in at a little around 1Kg.  or 2.2 pounds.
Hmmmm.  Hardly in the 15 pound range mentioned.

Finally we have the Patagonian Weasel (Lyncodon patagonicus), smaller in
stature still..perhaps 3/4 of a kilo, still striped and long furred, kind
of a badger/ferret like cross...very handsome animal...and again..."kept
in the houses of ranchers for the purpose of destroying rats".

There you have it from the book end here...BoB?...What do you have from
the Smithsonian?

Putorius and the running amok 8