From:
J Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 11:45:31 -0400
At 15:52 6/8/00 -0400, Kaiti Nixon wrote:
>Does anyone have any tips on cage making?  I am going to make my own
>cage because I think it will be cheaper.

Call your local "farm" store and see if they have heavy 1" x 2" and 1/2" x
1" wire mesh.  Use the 1/2" x 1" for the bottom - it should be covered with
flooring or bedding though.  Also ask about a tool and some metal bands
needed to fasten wire panels together.  You'll need a good pair of metal
snips and a file to round off sharp edges too.  You might be able to borrow
the last two from a neighbor if you don't already have them.

I'd suggest fastening the bottom to the sides 2" above the bottom so there
is a dead space under the cage.  This makes a nice place to put newspaper
or other absorbent material and provides a space for "stuff" (food, spilled
water, and whatever) to fall into.  If you see a need and have the money,
you can ask a sheet metal shop what it would cost to bend and pop-rivet a
metal pan about 6" deep to set the cage in.  These guys usually charge an
arm and a leg, but maybe you'll catch them on a good day if you explain
what it's for.

When you call, ask what widths the wire comes in, then spend some time
planning out your cage on paper before buying the wire.  That way you won't
buy more wire than you need and won't waste a lot of it.  You can make a
huge cage rather cheaply this way.  The hardest part is coming up with a
neat system for fastening the doors.  A visit to a few pet stores which
sell cages will give you some ideas on that.

Good luck,

--
Jim H