From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 13:39:13 -0500
Ferret people have ALREADY done TWO things EVERYONE ELSE told us were
IMPOSSIBLE:

1.  We went through ALMOST TEN YEARS of first getting a vaccine which is
safe for the vast majority of ferrets (at least three were tested but one
was harder on the ferrets' systems and the other required shots every 6
months), then having it tested to meet USDA approval, then getting someone
to do shedding studies and actually having them done, and then getting
ferrets included in the 1998 Compendium of Animal Rabies Control with the
SAME management procedures as dogs and cats (They might have wound up not
in till the next one without some footwork.).  NOW, we STILL have to spread
the word more -- imagine what effect it would have if every FML member got
a copy of the Compendium out to one hospital, one physician, one vet, and
one shelter!!!  Why not send an SASE to STAR Ferret, P.O.  Box 1714,
Springfield,VA 22151-0714, or AFA, P.O.  Box 255, Cronwsville, MD 21032, or
look up the AVMA website TODAY?  We also have to see to it that some states
have their long processes progress well, and that some get legislation The
cherished ferrets saved are your's and our's.)

2.  We vastly improved medical knowledge and care at a break-neck speed.
Anyone who had ferrets even ten years ago knows what I mean.  Those of us
who had them 15 or more years ago recall when there was NOTHING
ferret-oriented.  (Those who wish to help continue improving medical care
for ferrets are invited to make medical contributions to the Morris Animal
Foundation, 45 Inverness Drive East, Englewood, CO 80112-5480;
1-800-243-2345 for credit card contributions.  They run on a very small
staff (which is funded by a perpetual banked grant, so 100% of your
contribution goes to the critters) so if a contribution is below either
$25 or $50 (Can't recall which.) it usually goes to the General Fund to be
divided among animal health projects deemed of highest priority in that
year -- to save bookkeeping costs.  Getting ferrets included the same way as
dogs and cats in the Compendium was one of the high priority things in the
past -- so EVERYONE who sent in a small amount helped ferrets -- even the
horse, llama, dog, cat, etc.  people.  Larger amounts CAN be assigned.  We
usually just say "Ferret Health Studies" on our checks.)

Now, since our group has a GREAT history of banding together and SUCCEEDING
perhaps it's time for those of you who have taken on improving BREEDER
CONDITIONS (I will NOT single out one here, because there are backyard ones
which are far WORSE.) to go beyond the talking-about-it stage to the IDEA
stage.

I think Mary has taken the plunge with her EXCELLENT suggestion of trying to
improve the standards enforced upon breeders.  May I make a few suggestions
for consideration: 1. Make sure it is FEDERAL legislation which affects
according to SPECIES rather than according to the projected "use" of the
individual animal, or there will be two tiers for pet vs. research animals.
The reason I think it should be federal is because N.J. has some teeth in
its laws so folks just abuse the animals over the state borders and then
bring them in here.  2. Put JAIL TIME for corporation owners and decision
makers into the thing.  3. Work together with the existing humane societies
in designing and promoting the cause, 4. Find out what problems those
societies encountered when they tried to do this so you can get past them,
5. Use the "cutsey" factor in promoting the cause, 6. Remind politicians
that badly bred animals are both abused and inclined to medical problems --
both things which INCREASE the chances of bites by ANY pet species, 7. Don't
take "No." for an answer -- can't tell you HOW many scores of times we heard
that with the two things above.

I am also tired of hearing folks just piss, gripe and moan.  Come on,
people!!!!  I've seen REAL ACTION and know that it's possible.  Through the
years MANY, MANY WONDERFUL PEOPLE traded off carrying the flag, but it never
touched the ground.  If I (with no special talents) can be involved in some
things that worked then YOU can; there's nothing special about standing up
and acting upon your beliefs -- it's just the natural result of having them
in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just take a step or two, then stop paying
attention to your feet.  You'd be surprised how soon you cover a mile.

Sukie

[P.S.]
After a while I got to thinking about all the other things ferret people
have accomplished in just a few years.  Granted, there have been some giants
like Pam Troutman, Pam Greene, Bill Gruber (No, you don't have permission to
delete your name, Bill.), Dick Bossart, Troy Lynn Eckart, Diane Rogers,
Freddie Hoffmann, and a good number more, but much of the work was just
everyday scud work which any of us can do.  Think about the places where
ferrets weren't legal, the need for shelters being filled, the information
sources available.  Heck, think about an incredibly impressive thing Chere
(yet another giant) mentioned at the 10th FML Reunion: that the FML was THE
FIRST internet route to finding help for pets in disasters and that it wound
up gathering more than -- (No, I won't tell you because the number is
INCREDIBLE so I'll ask Chere to step in here since she can do it better and
tell you the source of the info, but it's right on the video tape and I'll
tell you it's in the "lottery win" range.) -- in such aid.  Taking action to
improve conditions in breeding mills and breeding factories will just be
another step in the typically constructive FML direction.