From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 08:26:00 EST
For your amusement I'd like to show you an excerpt from the proposed ferret
regulations in MA.  Even if we exclude people as mammals and assume they are
referring only to being outside (very generous conditions), can anybody see
how it would be possible to comply?

>(9)  PROHIBITIONS.   It is unlawful to:
>
>      (h) to have a ferret in one's possession or under one's control in
>          any place where birds or mammals may be found;

I can only assume this is an effort to protect wildlife and farm animals
from the ravages of marauding ferrets (dragging their leashed owners behind
them).  We may have won legal rights, but the myths of dangerous ferrets
live on.  A rat or pigeon anywhere in the state could lead to a technical
violation just by walking outside.  The threat to cows would make driving by
a dairy farm a reason for farmers to shoot.  A visit to the vet would
require them to evacuate their buildings to treat a ferret.

This is the most extreme example, but there are other needless and/or overly
restrictive provisions.  We are in a comment period (and they will get
plenty from me) so maybe some can be corrected.  If things are too
stringent, myself and others have had plenty of practice violating the law
and can break regs.  with our eyes closed.  I only hope people can realize
that the best for all parties is to devise regs.  that make it easier to
comply with than break.  With other states a short drive away, we can
sidestep a lot of in-state hassles (and costs) and leave it for the
enforcers to try to detect it.  I'd even be willing to form a group to
advise others on the best ways to do it.  One way or another, I want to use
the "MA Ferret Friends In Action" name.  The acronym and bending rules would
go hand in hand.

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \  "We don't want to run your business, just protect it."