From:
Leslie Kauffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:00:58 -0400
Hello everyone.

I just wanted to write to you because I know you all can understand what
I'm feeling.  I tried to talk to a couple of friends last night and they
just don't get it apparently.

My sweet boy Daggett has been sick for the past week.  He had loose poops,
wasn't eating very much and basically just acting a little under the
weather.  I was sick as well and just thought he had caught my cold, so I
was keeping an eye on him, but wasn't overly concerned.  Over the weekend
it escalated (poops turned runny and green), I noticed Sunday that he
wasn't eating at all and I brought him into the vet on first thing Monday
morning.  The vet thought it might be ECE (I adopted a new ferret about 3
months ago) or some kind of viral infection.  He had also lost half a
pound.  So I was sent home with 2 different kinds of antibiotics (one
liquid, one pill) and also told to give him some Pepto.  I also tried to
get him to eat pretty much anything I could think of - softened kibble, 5
different kinds of baby food, nutrical (which he would take a little of)
and a duck soup I ordered from the ferret store.  Last night when I got
home (on top of everything I'm serving on a jury this week) he was still
having runny green poops, was super mellow (which he's not at all usually)
and just felt really skinny...Some people may look at him and say well...
he looks like a healthy, in shape ferret, but he's always been my little
dumpy butt fat boy.  the receptionist looked at me like I was nuts because
when I called I told them he was all skin and bones.  Because to me he is!

So last night I rushed him to the vet and now he's going to be in the
hospital for at least the next three days.  They're not sure now what he
has.  We did Xrays because they were concerned that he may have a blockage
(He's a chewer) and the vet thought one of his kidneys might be enlarged.
We also did some fecal and blood tests, which I am waiting to hear the
results of.

I am a complete mess.  I've been beating myself up all night., thinking I
waited to long before I really got concerned.  The estimate the vet gave
me for 3 days of hospitalization, fluid / food / meds IV and what not is
over $800 just for the first three days (but that includes the emergency
fee, Xrays and tests).  I'm supposed to fly to chicago over the weekend
for a job interview on Monday and was planning on boarding him at the vets
so they could make sure he got his meds while I'm gone...now I don't know
what to do.  I gave them my last $400 as a deposit and have no idea where
I'm going to come up with the rest.  but that is really the least of my
concerns right now.  I'm scared that I'm going to lose my sweet boy.  I
miss him SO much already.

I'm supposed to call just before I go into court this morrning and I'm
going to stop by and see him on my way home.

Please keep your fingers crossed that he makes it through this.  I don't
what I'm going to do if he doesn't.  I can't imagine life without him.
He's my sweet mama's boy that follows me everywhere and gives me tons of
kisses.  I just want my little one to come home.

Thanks for listening and I hope eveyone's babies are doing well!

Leslie