From:
Kim Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:38:10 -0500
My name is Kim Black, I am a sometimes post-er and everyday reader of the
FML.  I have a dilemma and need facts to help settle a dispute between
myself and my husband.

We are owned by a truly handsome-boy ferret named Little Man.  He has free
run of the house as long as we are home and stays in his condo at night and
during work hours.  We also have a 14 month old blessing - our son Joshua,
who gets along famously (always supervised) with his fuzzie playmate.

For the past month a beautiful stray cat has claimed our front porch as her
new home.  Stray cats are common in our neighborhood (old houses with big
porches).  I have seen many come and go, but this one is different.  She is
loving and friendly and not at-all afraid of people like the others who
disappear as soon as they are seen.  We can hold her and pet her and man,
can she talk!  We believe she is the last known survivor of a litter of
kittens born in a neighbors back yard sometime late last winter/early
spring which makes her about 6 mos.  She has lived her entire life outside.
I personally have never had a pet cat of my own but my husband had many
growing up.  We decided make her an official member of our family, named
her Nomi and this week took her in for her first vet visit.  She received
her shots (feline leukemia and rabies) and was spayed.  The vet gave her a
clean bill of health.

Here's where we need some facts:

My husband says that it would be ok for Nomi to come inside sometimes.  I
am not so sure.  I am afraid that she can bring other sicknesses into the
house which can affect Little Man.  Although, I would not mind Nomi coming
inside for visits, Little Man is my baby and his well being comes first.
What do I need to know before I decide to let her in - or not to?  Anyone
with similar experiences out there?  My husband says he will relent if
valid arguments are brought forth.
--
Thanks for this great list -

Love to the Fuzzies!