From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 14:51:34 -0500
Hello Again:

The following is my personal version of duck soup.  Everyone has a little
different slant on it though, I know folks who grind up dry food and mix
with Ensure, just use Science Diet A/D or mix this with dry food.

A great tip I got from a shelter volunteer at the Chicago ferret show was
to mix Ferretvite with mantica (a beef lard used in Mexican food).  Melt
the manteca in the microwave, making sure it isn't too hot to eat, and add
some Ferretvite.  I whisked mine together.  They love it.  It is reported
to help clear up diarrhea associated with ece also, though I don't have any
first hand experience with this.

Margaret

Stanley's Stew

The basics:

1 jar Earth's Best Baby food, meat variety

Water to thin (I guesstimate)

1 heaping teaspoon Kitten Milk Replacer Powder

1 teaspoon Pet Tinic

Extras:
1/4 teaspoon vitamin C powder

1/4 teaspoon electrolyte poweder for cats and dogs (from Omaha Vaccine)

1 teaspoon Missing Link Cat Supplement (Petscriptions 1 800 774-7397)

1/2  capsule taurine

1 teaspoon acidolpholous powder

1 teaspoon Organic Flax Seed oil

For ece or diarrhea:
1 crushed tablet Viraplex

3 droppers of Colloid Silver (Enzymatic Therapy 1800-783-2286)

1/2 can Ensure or Deliver (substituted for the water in the basic recipe)

Mix together until smooth.  I use one of those Braun hand held blenders,
that look like an old fashion malt maker.  If the ferret won't eat on his
own out of a bowl, I hand feed or force feed with a baby's medicinal
dropper.  These have bulbs on one end and are marked in ml and cc, something
like a mini turkey baster.  If the ferret is really stubborn, I will make a
little ferret burrito with a kitchen towel and force the dropper in the
mouth.  This is a case of swallow or drown.  It may seem cruel, but is
sometimes required.