From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 11:26:29 -0500
Elizabeth Draus asked:
>1) Is it standard for the vet to not give the rabies vaccine on this visit?

Separating the distemper and rabies vaccinations by a couple of weeks is
common, and it's thought to reduce the chances of an adverse reaction.

>2) [...] spaying Velvet would protect her from aplastic anemia (probably
>spelled that wrong).  However, [...] her vulva is still swollen.  It
>that normal?!?

You spelled it right, and spaying will protect her.  It takes a couple of
weeks for the swollen vulva to go back down after spaying (or breeding, or a
dud stud, or a hormone injection), but she should be fine.  If you're
worried, just keep an eye out for pale gums and lethargy.

Kylie Preisig wrote:
>We currently have a litter of three week old kits, and both they and their
>mother have fleas.

Your concern with the toxic chemicals is good, but fleas can cause dangerous
anemia, especailly in small kits, so getting rid of them is important.
According to Dr. Judi Bell, formerly of Marshall Farms, ferrets tolerate
pyrethins very well.  She says she's used pyrethins to kill fleas on very
young kits with no problems.  Water baths and flea combs are guaranteed
safe, but from what I've heard, pyrethins are pretty safe too.  Shampoos are
generally safer than sprays or powders, but be sure the one you get doesn't
have any other chemicals.

Tricia Mason wrote:
>I live near Rochester, NY and I haven't had much luck finding private
>breeders.

Are you a member of WNYFLFA (the Western New York and Finger Lakes Ferret
Assoc., which is based in Rochester)?  Its president, Debbie Riccio, breeds
ferrets and knows of several other breeders in the area, as well as sources
for some non-MF products.  Email me for more information if you'd like.

>What should I worry about with my [MF] critters?  Additional health
>concerns?

This is a big can of worms, but in short, there is currently no solid
evidence that ferrets from MF have any more or different health problems
than other ferrets.  Some people have anecdotal evidence that says they do,
others have similar stories that say they don't, but nothing's been proven
one way or the other.

>Confused, Concerned, and Worried,

Relax.  If you choose to boycott MF from now on for political, moral, or
ethical reasons, that's up to you, but there's really no need to let your
opinion about the breeder who produced your furry friends in any way tarnish
the enjoyment you get from them now, and no need to worry unduly about their
health.

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>