From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 22:14:01 -0400
Dear XXXXXX:

The vast majority of enlarged spleens in ferrets are the result of chronic
inflammation rather than any type of tumor (probably 95%+ are benign.)  The
presence of chronic inflammation in the ferret - usually in the GI tract -
results in a proliferation of red and white blood cells in the spleen,
which in turn, causes the enlargement.  You can aspirate the spleen with
a needle, which would not require an exploratory (as long as your vet's
pathologist is familiar with ferret diseases.)  The other possibility is
lymphoma, which generally appears in less than 5% of cases.

Actually, while we are discussing lymphoma, I should mention that the
enlarged lymph nodes are far more worrisome to me than the spleen.  These
nodes should also be aspirated as well.  The combination of enlarged spleen
as well as these nodes probably increases the possibility of lymphoma here.

Should either aspirate (spleen or lymph nodes) even be questionable for
lymphoma, then a lymph node biopsy and splenectomy probably should be
strongly considered.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at