From:
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 13:48:09 -0700
>From:    Karen Daigneault <"[log in to unmask]"@BEALENET.COM>
>Subject: In the search of a kit..../ferret rooms/Galaxy D
>I just got my AFA application/etc., regarding the June show.  *sigh*...I
>was looking forward to entering my Sammie.  [...]  Anyway, Sammie was
>last vaccinated with Galaxy D.

This is one of the controversies in the "ferret community".  The AFA has
taken the stance that it is best to only use products USDA approved for use
in ferrets and not products that the manufacturer specifically states it is
not for use in ferrets.

Fervac-D is a known and tested product.  Despite the reactions it is a safe
product.  The reactions that we've heard about tend to be clustered.  Some
of us use the product and have seen no reactions whatsoever.  Thousands of
vaccinations for some users.  But some have many reactions and they do for
some reason appear most often at vets - which is why our theory about stress
at the time of an innocculation with Fervac-D being related to the reaction
rate.  The vets that write to us know we are certainly NOT anti-vet (heck
there have been vets in the family) but just have a theory that stress from
a full examination increases the likelihood of a reaction.  When we give
shots its only giving shots and the ferrets are completely comfortable in
the situation and environment.

There is a political squabble where some folks don't like other folks and
make up strange stories about "kickbacks".  Its mostly jealousy - little
clubs picking on the largest club.  You might note that the largest club
never makes comments about the other clubs.

We're sorry you won't be able to show Sammie in June.  Maybe next year or
at another upcoming show in Maryland or Long Island after Sammie's next
vaccination.  We aren't going to be able to make the June show ourselves -
some little thing like a daughter's graduation <grin>

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]