From:
sharin alpert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 22:14:15 -0800
To Barb who wonders about getting a kitten:
We went to a cat rescue when we needed another cat.  Every time I talked to
Mary-the-Cat-Lady on the phone, she would be yelling at one cat to stay out
of the room where she kept the kittens - he was always scratching on the
door.  That's the cat we ended up adopting, not for that reason, but it
turns out a cat who really likes kittens is a good bet for getting along
with ferrets - enjoys their company, plays with them as if theyre kittens,
bops them gently when they get too rough, just the right attitude.

To Pete who says Where is the Love? - aww.
With some pets, maybe most, I think you have to sort of train them to be
affectionate.  Hold them as long as they enjoy it, encourage them to sit in
your lap (think ferretone), pet & shnoogle them - my experience with cats
is, over time, they learn to like it & seek it out even if it wasnt their
nature originally.  with the first of my two ferrets, I think it's also
working out that way - she was always sweet & docile but not a cuddler or
lap pet - but she's begun hanging out in a lap occasionally of her own free
will, even fell asleep there once or twice.  With the second, who's pretty
hyper, it'll take longer, but I think he is learning to like being held
more.  It's clear he likes us, but he hasn't slowed down enough to be
affectionate yet.  Also, I think it takes longer than we expect to build a
bond with animals, or at least, that the bond keeps growing and changing
with time.  In my very limited experience with ferrets, since summer isn't
very long.

To Meghan:
just for the record, here's one more vegetarian (25 years so far..) - never
thought of offering soy milk to the pets tho.  Hell, there's plenty soy in
most pet food, so I can't imagine it'd hurt them.

for the record, some consider me to be a little excessive in the pet dept,
altho i "only" have 5 (2 ferrets, 2 cats, a single dog); this feels like a
perfect population level for now, actually.  But my family (who also love
the pets, of course) decided I'd gone over the edge yesterday (which I'd
been tottering on the brink of anyhow) when I went out and bought a postage
scale - so I could weigh the ferrets.  I'd become obsessed with wanting to
know what Chloe weighed, & the vet uses an old baby scale which calls
everything 2 pounds if it's under 5... So, $26 (which I can ill afford)
later, I am satisfied to know that Chloe weighs 1.75 lb while Ramon weighs
2.75 lb.

We've been enjoying ourselves lately by letting the ferrets have free run
of most of the house evenings.  Finally figured out a way to do it safely.
it's a riot on a quiet evening.  I know, you guys know already.  The dog's
pretty irritated about it, & one of the cats, but the rest of us are
amused...

Hey Bob C - ...hmm.
More blues song verses keep running thru my mind, but I am resisting & not
writing them down.  I did realize, sorta to my embarassment, that Ramon's
blues was to the tune of Heartbreak Hotel....

I hope this isn't too long.  I'm just a-rambling.  To all of you who've
lost beloved pets, I share your sorrow.  & to those playing with silly
pets, I share your giggles--

--sharin
Ramon (more coffee!)
& Chloe (wanna dance?)