From:
MuskyDusty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2011 08:05:25 -0500
With all that gets posted to the FML, the Giving Tree really has
stirred up some opinions and emotions.

I would like to start by saying thank you to all the people who work
tirelessly caring for ferrets, whether they have a 501c or like us come
out of pocket for every ferret in our care. Let's not forget all those
volunteers who donate their time to help shelters because the need is
so great. Special thanks to all those Veterinarians and Clinics who
provide free services, discounted services, and those who provide
service for animals in need regardless if you are able to pay at the
time services are rendered or not. Thanks to all the organizations who
think ferrets are important enough that they provide food, medicine,
supplies, and financial support for the animals in our care. And last
but not least the Ferret Giving Tree. The Tree has provided an
opportunity for many shelters to receive the much needed boost during
a difficult time of the year. Regardless if you find the Giving Tree
donation a religious or secular opportunity we need to keep in mind
that this is the only way some shelters can receive donations. Many
folks don't have the time or resources to have their own websites.
In many instances donations are few and far between and the Tree can
help inform readers of the particular needs at your favorite shelter,
besides who doesn't want to hear about a life saved or extended, a
wonderful placement, or just see another ferret in a warm and safe
place where they can be loved and cared for.

As the Holidays approach we see the call for clearing the Trees rise
and ferrets/shelters are selected that never receive the gifts
promised. I find this a curious and often cruel gesture by some people.
It raises hopes at the shelters and also discourages persons who would
like to donate to their favorite fuzzy. There is no way to prevent this
behavior other than to to appeal to those who have participated in this
behavior to consider it is a waste of time for all involved. I am sure
that they could find other things to occupy their time.

One final thought on the Tree, how about just 10 ferrets and 10
ornaments? I am of the opinion that 20 ferrets are excessive for a
single shelter. Ornaments could provide information like what it takes
to run your shelter (daily-monthly), thanks to the volunteers (or plea
for some), Kudos to your Vet (maybe a way to contact your vet to help
with a bill), things you need, your contact information such as
websites, email, and snail mail addresses, a financial donation path,
and so on. Since the Tree remains up year round but inactive you can
have your shelter information available all year until the next tree
is cut and decorated.

Keep the ferret portion of the Tree about the ferret. Their stories,
trials, likes and dislikes, health, age, condition, and so on.

That's just my opinion.

Dooks,
Bruno

--
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by
the way its animals are treated" Mahatma Gandhi