Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 02:20:35 EDT
>After all this rambling, I'm just looking for thoughts and others'
>experiences with oldies. I want my baby to live the last part of her
>life as nicely and comfy as possible. There should be a Senior Ferrets
>for Dummies!

Hi Alicia ~

My what a sad story. My experience with incontinence is not the best
of news. Our adrenal ferret who has had surgery had a bout of
incontinence. Apparently it's up to the vets to determine if that
particular symptom is relevant to the other signs of illness. Then I
had two insulinoma cases and both had the late stage incontinence. They
were proud little boys who always kept themselves clean and I would
have to change bedding, litter pans a few times a day, as I would wash
them up. Yet our other little boy (Bandit) died of a growing kidney
infection that went undiagnosed for over a year. As Bandit lost the use
of his back legs I changed the location of his bed to the lower part of
the cage and placed newspapers down for him to use. After seeing this
proud little man struggle we decided to let him go. In all 4 cases
these ferrets were ill and the struggle to keep them with us, eating
daily soup, was such a personal decision that each vet agreed with.

God bless you Alicia as you consider the options.
Warmly ~
Mary L. Conley, MNH, N.D.
Conley Farm Herbs
Shepherdstown, WV