From:
Greta Hoisington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 09:47:39 EDT
>there was a funny little guy there named harry that would make coughing
>sounds, but only to get your attention

Melissa, Are you sure Harry isn't deaf?  Is this 'funny little guy' a
dew, a blaze or a panda?  Your post hit me right between the eyes when I
read this and remembered the same behavior in my little deaf dew female,
Nada.  Nada was my only ferret when she did this.  She would make sharp
coughing sounds, which caused me to run to her, open her mouth gently
and check inside to make sure she wasn't choking.  Then I would cuddle
her.  Later I learned from the GCFA staff in Chicago that Nada was
'barking' when she did this in order to get my attention.  When I tested
my little girl at home, I realized she is deaf as a post.  The 'barking'
soon stopped though, when I brought Nada's new brother home from this
wonderful shelter.  She no longer needed my constant attention to
entertain her.

Just a thought, but it might be worth considering for Harry's sake -- and
the shelter who is currently housing him.

Greta Hoisington