From:
Diane Emery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:27:46 -0600
Hi all.  I need some help with Rocket's hair loss and was wondering if
anyone could give their opinions.  Summary: Rocket is 3.5 yrs old, male,
neutered, descented, MF.  We got him in a pet store (BAD humans!) at 9 weeks
so he was definitely altered early.  I know better next time, I swear!
About a month ago, I noticed a balding patch at the base of his tale,
leading to a thinning, discolored area up his spine about 5 inches.  I
assumed adrenal problems but after talking to Dr Williams and my own vet, we
waited a month, adding in lots of ferretone, and moisturizing baths, coat
conditioners, etc to see if it was just poor coat quality.  After one month,
the spot has gotten a little bigger, but nothing extreme.  (a little bigger
than a quarter now) He went in to the vet last week and she said it could be
an adrenal problem but all the cases she has seen were very rapid acting
(within weeks the ferret was losing tons of fur).  She says if it is an
adrenal tumor, it is very small and very slow growing.  She did a skin
scraping, all looks fine, and sent me home with an antibacterial/antifungal
cream in case there was a folicle infection of some sort (I think this is a
shot in the dark, but who am I to argue with the Dr??) She says to wait and
see if the hair loss continues and then decide what to do (she suggested
skin biopsy, ultrasound, exploratory surgery, etc...I see lots of $$$$
here...) My question for all you: are there any other causes of this type of
hair loss?  We recently added a puppy to our household (already included one
dog) but they dont really interact so I wouldnt think it would be stress
related hair loss???  Also, it has begun to get colder, could it be related
to getting in a winter coat???  I know it isnt fleas.  I also read in a
ferret book this weekend (and I quote) "Some early altered, middle aged (3-4
yr) ferrets may show signs of hair loss at the base of the tail.  *IF* (my
bolding) this hairloss continues, you may want to have the ferret checked
for an adrenal tumor" Does this mean that hair loss is common in early
altered ferrets and may have nothing to do with adrenal tumors?  I could
really use some input here!  Thanks for any suggestions/comments you might
have!

Diane

"I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to"