From:
Dutcher James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 22:12:32 -0600
Last Sunday (about five PM)I had let my two ferrets out to run around the
house (I cage them and put them in another room while I vacuum).  After a
few minutes I heard what sounded like one of them getting sick.  I rushed
into the bedroom and pulled BJ out from under the bed, he seemed all right,
but to be sure I put him back in the cage so I could watch him closely.
After a few minutes he started to vomit, then he seemed all right.  I
searched the house to see if he had got into something that could have gave
him a blockage.  The search came up empty, which was what BJ was doing again
in his cage.  I've only been a ferret slave for two weeks, but I knew what a
blockage could do to these little guys.  I called the Ferrets First shelter
in Carlsbad and talked with Edie Fox (yes, I adopted these guys from there,
not a pet store!) she gave me some good advice on what to do.  I did these
things and then called the only vet here in Clovis that would even see
ferrets.  He was useless, he only gave ferrets their shots and never got
into the medical side of things (his words!).  BJ was still getting sick and
was not keeping water down for more than five minutes.  I called Edie back
and told her my problem, she said that she would meet me in Roswell and take
BJ back to Carlsbad to her vet.  I set the other ferret (Ghost) up in the
bathroom with food, water and a bed and set out on the hour and a half drive
to Roswell, Edie and her husband set out from Carlsbad (an hour drive).
When I got there Edie knew what to do and soon had BJ ready for the trip
back to the shelter.  Edie got BJ back to the shelter and after their vet
gave a shot of something (I don't remember what but it helps ferrets to pass
things), BJ passed a hair ball that a cat would have had problems with.  BJ
is all right now and Edie and her husband are bringing him back tomorrow,
I'm so thankful that there are ferret heroes out there like Edie and her
husband, they drove two hours to get my sick ferret.  If you don't think
that there are any heroes left, I'll tell you how wrong you are.  To all the
shelter Moms and Dads out there, thank you for being the special people you
are.  Sorry for such a long post.

James- ferret slave
Ghost- BJ come home, I miss you.
BJ- When do I get to come home?