From:
Karen Douglas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 07:19:41 -0400
Hola,

I have to agree with the folks that are saying the reason behind the
biting should determine the appropriate training response.  I also agree
that unless Puma had been biting earlier, it is probably stress related
to the move.

I am the fml member Julie Fossa was speaking of that put her ferrets head
in her mouth.  Jubilee's biting was a dominance issue.  I tried all of
the regular stuff.  Scruffing, dragging, hissing, time outs.......But
anyone who knew my Jubilee knew what a little alpha queen she was.
Finaly as a last resort I scruffed her and put her head in my mouth.  It
was done very gently and quickly.  I only did it once and Jubilee never
bit me again.  Nor was she afraid of me.  Whenever she was afraid, she
would run to me and put her head in my hand to hide there.  We had a
truly extra ordinary bond.

There are many methods of training.  We as owners know our fur kids
better than the folks reading these posts from a distance.  Each of us
knows what is best suited for the personality THEY are dealing with.  I
believe Alexander to be a loving, knowledgeable ferret owner who would
never, ever hurt her ferret and if it worked, cudos to her for knowing
how to train her fur kid.

--
HappyTails,
Karen